After reading extensively on typography, and seeing what works (IRL), I developed the following list of guidelines that have consistently helped me with typographic design. Hopefully, you can apply these tips to start improving the your own typographic design process — without turning you into a snob.
- Start by choosing a typeface for your body text.
- Avoid using more than two typefaces.
- Balance line spacing and font size.
- Keep your line length around 45–90 characters.
- Use a modular scale.
- Pay special attention to proper punctuation.